Sunday, June 25, 2006

Sick! (...again)

Well I'm not a happy camper today.

Last weeks virus seemd to be settling - ran Tue, Wed, Fri - with periods at MP.

Woke sat with cracking headache, left upper tooth/cheek tenderness and now a thick discharge from left side of nose - - Sinusitis. I've gone straight onto antibiotics, decongestants and saline nasal spray in an attempt to stop it in it's tracks. Unfortunately the average duration of sinusitis is 7-10 days and noe of the above measures have convincingly been shown to reduce that duration.

My gut feeling (?delusional) is that I'm still a 75% chance of running, most likely with a reduced target, but I hold out some hope of a rapid recovery and sub3:20 run. If it wasnt for the left side of my head, I actually feel quite good, but my resting HR is up a bit.

I'll play this weeks training by ear - hopefully three 10k easy runs just to keep the blood flowing so to speak. Either way I'll still go to the carboload dinner on Friday.

Part of me says 'theres always Rottnest later in the year' and the other part says 'I've spent 6 months running to get here, nothings going to stop me finishing'

Can only wait & see.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

You will deliver a huge/massive PB (considering the training & racing you have done in recent months) if you can get healthy enough on the day...

I would advise going for it as if nothing has changed...due best to clear sinuses and give it a go...But have a back-up rescue plan and as they say on the entry forms if you are dizzy or disoriented you have to stop...

Also look at your home/work environment to see if there is anything making it worse...

the nasal saline spray is very good....
I recommend going for some relaxed sessions just enough to get sweat up...as you can sweat out some of the nasty stuff...

With the work you have done you may want look around for another marathon to unleash on if you pull up too sick on the day;
e.g. Geraldton Marathon or Adelaide Marathon