Saturday, February 25, 2006

When the #$&$ is my garmin coming

Solid training week - dropped the mileage but added some intensity. Will be a 65km week with tomorrows recovery run. This weeks sessions included - 8km MP run, 7km LT run (at 4min27perkm) and a 2hr30min long run this morning covering 25.5km ( probably a bit more - about 5:45/k i think)

Garmin are dragging their feetwith the 305 - looks like March delivery now, but I wont hold my breath. Meanwhile my old Polar HRM is playing up - screen blanks out every now and then - not sure if its a low battery or a screen thing. I dont know whether its going to be worth getting it fixed or just retiring it when the new one comes - may need to make some enquiries. I guess at worst I can try getting a new battery put in - seems like too valuable a piece of electronics to throw away.

I was really happy with my Threshold run this week - the first one I've done properly I think. I previously went too hard and they turned into intervals. This time I tried to focus on level of effort and breathing ( 2 steps inspiration, 2 steps expiration), and ran around lake Monger where (almost) all the kms are marked. I averaged 4:27s with an 86% max HR - only 3 secs slower than my 10k pace but that was a poorly executed race and I'm fairly sure I am capable of 43 low, which would fit in.

The Marathon pace session was new to me as well - another I'll be trying to do more often. It's an awkward pace to run at for me in training, hopefully having the Garmin wil really help me with hitting these paces.

IPod is dying too - short of cash right now but later on I'll have to buy a new MP3 player. I think a solid state one will be better than my mini, which still has a hard drive - which I imagine has struggled with 18 months of running. The Nano looks best, but reviews say the I-Audio has top audio quality so I might look out for one being discounted.

I really feel at the moment that everything is coming along nicely - thanks to many of the posters on CR and last years experience of teaching myself not to overtrain, I feel finally in control of my training and only illness or injury would seem able to stop me from a sub 3:30 in July.

No comments: