Saturday, February 04, 2006

Shoes and Shins

I ran all last year in Asic GT2100s. They were great, but like many, I was keen to try others. I'd previously run in Brooks Beast, but when I saw a podiatrist he said I wasnt pronating so badly to need these clodhoppers. The Brooks Axiom looked good - very light but still good stability. When I found them for $140 in december, I grabbed a pair.

The first couple of times I wore them they felt great, but they made a real slapping noise in the ground - probably due to the red shiny rubber/synthetic on the sole I thought. But in the last week I've developed shin pain, and a lump over my tibialis anterior tendon at the right ankle. I ran my long run today in my old Asics and the pain was barely an issue.

Not sure exactly what about the shoes caused the shin pain. Obviously introducing speedwork last month contributed, but the slapping makes me thinks it was partly the shoes.

I'm going to see the podiatrist next week to discuss!

Otherwise decent week, 2hr run today, 60km total this week. Bring on the matilda bay 10k next week for a good hitout - estimating just under 44min if all is well.

2 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Epi,
looks like we both did a 2hr long run this weekend....lookin good...

Sounds like the Brooks Axiom might be the problem, my advice is don't wear them on long runs on road or concrete especially. I retired the shoes I ran in for 2004 cos they got worn out so I only wear them around the house etc now, never run in ém...some good bargains at Jim Kidds and Harbourtown in the city near City-West train station...otherwise your Asics will be too worn out in a few weeks-month or two and the shin problem can take months to get rid of if you dont nip it in the bud......
So I reckon you should get after that shin pain issue cos I had a lot! of hassles with that in 2004, as you can see if you read my posts on http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/7549/runmara2004blog.html

I wear orthotics in my work shoes, and run on grass,sand, and trails as much as possible to avoid the pounding which makes the shin problems worse...(and for me my pre-existing knee injuries also)
Hope you get that shin issue sorted, could be a short term thing or could be one you have to be patient with...if the latter then there is cycling etc...Hopefully you have got it quick enough

Bring on Matilda Bay!

trailblazer777 said...

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/

7549/runmara2004blog.html