Sunday, May 13, 2012

Two Solid Weeks

A couple of good weeks training since my last post, with confidence a bit higher.

Week 1  -146k
Mon 12k easy @ 4:51
Tues am 16k@4:19 with some fartlek
Tues pm 10.8k@4:28 easy barefoot
Wed am 8.5k easy
Wed pm 18k@4:30 - belated medium long run
Thurs am 10k recovery
Fri am 19k with 11k(7 then 4) tempo@3:52
Sat am12.5k recovery
Sun am 40k@ 4:37 long run with Rob

Week 2 - 134k
Mon am 10k recovery
Tues am 16k easy (mild virus)
Tues pm 11k@4:28 with some barefoot
Wed am 24k medium long
Thurs off
Fri am 24k@4:19 medium long rum
Sat am 12k recovery
Sun am 36.5k with last 18k@3:55 (overall 4:14)

So overall a couple of solid weeks training.
The plantar fascia is OK - tried without taping on one of my easy runs though and paid a price - back to being taped (self taping) 24/7. the rest of my body seems to be holding up OK
I had a little bit of a crisis in confidence last week, but a solid couple of long runs have helped.

Today's long run included 18k finish at MP - ended up being a pretty consistent 3:55 and garmin dying at 16k and unavoidable toilet stop at this point didn't faze me.

Upcoming weeks include the 14k Run For a Reason race in a fortnight and potentially the 6k Lake Gwelup Primary funrun (scene of my only ever funrun victory) 13days out from the marathon.

Race day nutrition was on my mind today - tried some 'Winners' Gels (Coles/Cadel Evans brand) on Clowns advice. They are the most palatable gels I've come across. The carb content is listed as corn syrup solids - which from my reading is the same thing as maltodextrin and not the high fructose corn syrup which is oft blamed as the culprit for the downfall of Western Civilisation. I just need to decide how much gel to use, given I will have carbs in sports drinks I'll leave at each station.

1 comment:

Sling Runner said...

Epi, some great training there! The 36k with last 18k at MP at 3.55 pace was mighty impressive.