Sunday, November 07, 2010

John Gilmour 10,000m

New PB 37:29 - Friday night

Had an easy leadup in the week - Mon, Tues and Wed 10k runs with some fartlek.
Thursday off

Friday night headed out for the 7:15pm 'A' race at Cannington. I'd been motivated by TB's first lap sprint in the other race.
I've not done a 10k track race before, but was looking forward to it. Felt pretty good on the night.

My aim was 37:30, luckily 90 sec laps so no complex calculation necessary. First lap 80 sec and I made sure I slowed down straight away, didn't want to get sucked in to staying with Big Kev or Jockster.

I then ran 91-92sec laps for the next 8, and came back to target pace. I maintained the same pace for the next 8 and was 10 ec behind pace. With 8 laps to go I started to push the first 100m of each lap to pick up to 90sec laps, and kept at the 10 sec behind. Final 2 laps picked things up and with an 80 sec final lap came in at 37:29.

I was tired but not knackered, and felt very happy with the performance, a very small negative split.

other thoughts from the night:
-Sore shins from 2-4k, then settled (wearing Mizuno Idatens)
-Struck by how fast the leaders went, esp Roberto Busi who ran 30:22 or thereabouts - I got a much cleared impression than ever before of how fast 3min/k is.
-Knee gave me no real issues
-Again a good 4 week block of training seems to be enough now to get me into reasonable form

Sat 10k recovery
Sun 22k with Clown, over Hale Rd hill, finished a reasonable week - 75k@4:28

Next up is 5k race at Pennisula, and I could end up my 'annus horribilis' with 3k, 5k and 10k PBs!!!

4 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Congratulations!!! Well done! well paced race, I said to Clown while we were watching it appeared you were pacing things well early...Good to see you get an A-grade 10k time on the board, that is long overdue. Well done on getting past the injury races, and successful execution of an excellent race. Smart move to back off after the first lap, and well finished off in the closing stages. For sure track racing allows us a good window into what 3min per K looks like, and nice to see Roberto make it into the eastern states big time. His baptism of fire at the Z10 will be Thursday the 9th, as he becomes a small fish in a big pond, be very interesting to see how he goes. Solid long run to back up and 75k for the week, hopefully you can keep the momentum going and keep the injuries on the back foot, and you and Clown could be all set for a very interesting battle in the coming months...Still time for the big runs this year too. Well done!

Biscuitman said...

Congrats on your PB - sounds like it was a good night.

When is the 3k that you are thinking of running?

homo said...

37:29 with a 37:30 aim. You scare me!

Sling Runner said...

Epi - congrats on the PB!

Sounds like you did a perfectly executed race, with a slight negative split. 37s is an awesome timing.