Sunday, November 14, 2010

Holding back

I feel a bit like a bull at the gates right now. My motivation to start Marathon training in earnest is high. I want to run more, get up to 100k plus a week.

But it's not the right time. I'm recovering from a knee injury which still reminds me it's there on each run. It's too early to start a Boston prep (assuming I get there), and I have some short race PBs to achieve.

So 75km this week @ 4:26

Mon 7k@4:34. The lunchtime experiment isn't working, will try to get back to morning monday recovery
Tues intervals - 3×100m/100m float, 1 min rest3×200m/100m float, 2 min rest,3×300m/100m float, 3 min rest.Repeat.

Times including float (lap distance not Garmin)
500m 1:40
800m 2:39
1200m 4:03

500m 1:42
800m 2:37
1100m 3:38

I usually pace myself quite well at intervals, but this was an exception. Really struggled in the last set to keep pace and fell behind the leaders. Overall ran the session too hard and if it was winter would have picked up a virus later in the week due to dip in immunity.

Wed 9.3k@4:39
Thurs rest
Fri 11.1k@4:34
Sat 11.38@4:28 - I'd meant to do a session today, perhaps mirror Biscuitmans mile repeats from earlier this week to get a handle on whether I can try to stick with him in next weeks 5k race. Legs felt too heavy for this, but they loosened up later, so I went back onto the Bold Park hilly loop for the first time since I hurt my knee and did some fartlek type efforts - ended up quite a nice session

Sun 24k@4:34. Same course as last week plus 2k extra. Ran alone and found it a bit harder mentally. Still made it over Hale Rd OK but didnt do the fast 3k thereafter and really dragged my feet 20-24k.

I'm not sure how much/little to do leading into a 5k race next Sunday. Any ideas on a structure. Should I skip intervals Tuesday?

2 comments:

Clown said...

Cut the mileage back a little for this week ie if you normally do a 10k run, drop it back to approx 8k etc but keep the pace reasonably quick.

If you do Intervals Tues just don't thrash yourself, I may pop down again so run with me and take it easy.

trailblazer777 said...

Agree with holding back and looking after the knee transition. Re the 5k my thoughts are business as usual but just don't do too much on Saturday perhaps Friday if you want to race well....Stay with it, the momentum is there waiting for the right time to be unleashed...