Sunday, December 13, 2009

Back In the Habit

Like Whoopi Goldberg or Robbie Coltrane.

This week was about the body and mind getting used to running regularly again. Luckily I rediscovered my mojo at the start of the week and finally had some spring back in my step-

Mon rest
Tues 10k@4:12 (fartlek) - included 2k@3:40 - felt really good, finally shaken the virus. PM played golf for the first time in over a year and did surprisingly well (for me)

Wed am 10k@4:18 (fartlek) - included 2k@4:00, 2k@3:50
Wed pm 9k@4:25 - consistent pace
Thurs am, 5.5k@4:45 - legs shot by the last 2 days
Friday am 8.5k@4:40- still pretty fatigued, but in a good way
Sat am 11k@4:30 - tried to hold back a little for City Beach

Sun am City Beach funrun 8k. Hot one! About 27C at the start, 30C at the finish.
I was keen to make sure I toughed out the full 8k and not stop after one lap. Met up with Sugar, Sas and Biscuitman before the start. My plan had been 345 first km, then slow down to 3:55-400s until the last km and finish fast if I had the legs

Garmin Splits were 3:42/3:51/3:41/3:43 14:59 halfway Garmin 15:14 on course

This is where the struggle began - had felt I had controlled things OK til here but the heat was biting and the 6th km was the killer (for all I subsequently discovered)

Second half 3:56/4:02/4:08/3:55 - 8k by Garmin 31:01
Race time 31:17.
I walked 10m at the 6k hairpin, but it didn't slow things down too much

So the overall race was about as expected. I'll be interested to see the times of the leaders as many seemed a bit slower than usual - perhaps making my run a bit better than at first glance

Nice to see Biscuitman returning from injury with a controlled effort, Sugar ran well but didn't push himself too hard.

This week I'll try to run every day. The hot forecast has strengthened my resolve not to run Six Inch, although there is a little part of me that wont completely discount it yet.

3 comments:

Clown said...

Another good week well done. Great effort at City Beach today in pretty tough conditions.

Sling Runner said...

I think it was good for you to race todau after a lengthy break in order to gauge your fitness level.

Definitely you are a sub 30 8k guy or better on your day. Anyway, great to see u back racing.

trailblazer777 said...

solid weeks training and excellent race...forecast temp for 6 inch down to 31 max now, so hotter than last year, (unseasonally cold last year) but about the same as previous years...