Sunday, August 09, 2009

Where to aim?

85k this week ( was on track for 100 until today)

Mon 6.2k @4:50 - recovery
Tues 20.3k @ 4:11 - through Kings Park marathon loop at a bit faster than MP
Wed 12.2k @ 4:31 - felt really lethargic
Thurs rest
Fri 11.7k @4:15 - MP - Garmin had some sort of malfunction so ran on feel - sportstracks interpreted the run properly and had gone faster than I expected
Sat 34.3k @4:35. Had to move long run to unfamiliar Sat am due to marshalling duties on Sun. Drizzling at the start, some heavier showers and clearing towards the end. Very similar course to last week - mainly on marathon course. Felt pretty crappy today so was happy with it all in all and hade a bit of a secong wind at 30k which was promising.

Sun - marshalled at Womens Classic ,meant to run in the afternoon but work and family commitments prevented it. Felt in a funk all day - very annoyed with constant work calls and just couldnt relax.


So I'm starting to think about the race plan for C2s. Up until now I've said that I wouldn't worry about the time, but that would be disingenuous. I would like to set myself up with a chance for a PB but not put pressure on myself.

Given the course, I think a first half of 1:28:xx would be the plan. Then I would expect to be able to hold on to sub 3hr pace through KP and subiaco. My plan then is to see what happens with the last 6k. Either I have some juice left and kick on, or I'm struggling and lose as little as possible.

The alternative would be to take it out really easy and finish strong, but I would still like to give myself the possibility of a sub3 finish - as unlikely as that is.

6 comments:

Clown said...

Flying Dutchman, another good week.

Hard to know how to try and pace for this course but I think you have the right idea around 1.28 for the half and then play it by ear.

homo said...

Not sure whether I'm the right person to chip in at the moment - but I know all about going out at a decent pace and then struggling to finish...
To be blatantly honest, I don't think this is a course you'd want to go for a PB on. There's just too much up and down in the second half.
I'd go for option 2 and just enjoy the run.

Sling Runner said...

I think a 1:28 first half on a fast flat course is pretty reasonable. Hopefully the 2mins buffer will get under 3. Your Tuesday's 20k @ 4:11 suggests that you have a good chance.

Biscuitman said...

I think you should go for it. As Sling Runner said 20k @ quicker than sub 3hr pace in KP indicates that you are in good shape. It's a hard course for a PB but if you trust your training and stick to your pacing, I'm sure its within your grasp.

DC64 said...

I agree with Clown, SR and B-man. In the right conditions 1:28 on that course would be a doddle for you and you'll find out fairly soon on the back half if you have it or you don't. If you don't, just back off and make it a good (expensive) training run. You just never know when it's going to be your day, and the 30th may well be yours, and a strong first half will at least give you a shot.

trailblazer777 said...

With your training and racing this year, and dont forget the six inch sub 4 effort last year, you might find the hills dont hold you back as much as others so i think you are a chance of a sub 3 in the c2S, although it will be a much tougher assignment than the Perth, and the question will be whether you have recoverd enough from Perth or not in time...could be a very inspirational day, and I think you have what it takes to maybe pulloff a PB on that day...although for many others (including me probably) a PB on that course is very unlikely...
keep the momentum going and keep aiming high! This is your time...