Sunday, August 02, 2009

City to Surf Marathon (probably)

I'm 90% decided on running the marathon at the end of the month.

I managed 105k this week, and that was one of my self imposed criteria (the ability to do a couple of 100+ weeks) for trying the full Mara so soon after Perth.

Thanks for the comments last week - many were along the lines of what I was thinking already. Craig - I appreciate your input - and I'm certainly very aware of the over fast speed I tend to train at. Sadly there continues to be a disconnect between my intentions and actions. Terming my 4:19 average run as 'Easy' last week is evidence of this - 'easy' was my intention, the result clearly wasn't.

I'd like to say I was successful in slowing down this week, but it was only true to a very limited extent. The only way I've really been able to slow down is by running with my brother-in-law on saturday, who is training for a sub 1hr 12k C2S.

Mon 8.7k@4:37 -easy(ish)
Tues 20.2k@ 4:23 - though Kings Park for the first time in a couple of years
Wed 15k@ 4:25 - again through Kings Park
Thurs rest
Friday 12k with 3x1k 3:33/3:28/3:33 - I still find it amazingly hard to run fast this early in the morning

Sat 15k@4:55 - including 10k through KP with Luke at race pace for him - looking good

Sunday 33.5k@4:35 - solo long run - basically ran on the marathon course - started at the 14k mark through to 30k mark, then the start to 14k mark, with 2k each way from home.
This felt like a real plod, despite the speed, my legs complaining about the recent mileage and introduction of hills. Tried to minimise stops - only a quick water fill at 20k and again at 30k.

I had been 100% about running the Mara yesterday, but this mornings effort with some pretty fatigued legs scared me as I imagined being at the 33k point of the race feeling like that and needing to get over the hills to come.

On the non-running front, I'm back on the sauce - celebrated with some Moet and a bottle of 1997 Keyneton Estate - a little past its prime but still a lovely drop. Hopefully I will limit myself to weekend drinking only.

I'm a little concerned at the City to Surf plans. Mara starts 0730, 12k at 0900. This means i will be running up St Georges Tce exactly as the 12k starts, as was the organiser's plan to add to the atmosphere. The intention is that the 12k runners will all be on the right hand side of the road, and we'll stay on the left. Having experienced several City to Surf starts, I have my doubts over the organiser's ability to stop 25000 people spreading across the lanes. The site FAQ says that there will be a physical barrier or median strip to stop this happening - if it's just the median strip I have my concerns especially on the first hill. I think that after the KP detour things will be fine - and the courses do diverge through Subi

Looking at my GPS record I'm also reminded that it doesnt like running down St Georges Tce - poor signal with all those buildings - wont be able to rely on it there.

6 comments:

Sling Runner said...

Thought the hills would slow your easy pace down, but apparently not!

Easy pace is personal preference and should be whatever is comfortable pace for you. If they break you down or ruin the next day's quality session, it means you need to slow down your easy days.

trailblazer777 said...

Another impressive week...
Probably a good move to do the saturday session nice and easy with Luke IMO...and I think the thursday rest day is good tooo...the other thing you have to remember is that what is "easy" for you now was "hard" a few years back...you have progressed a lot in the last 12 months...

I have my doubts about the C2S marathon...I suspect the organisers have a lot! to learn about it...
For me doing it is just to enjoy the experience...hopefully we wont get too swamped by 12 runners...at least the finish is through Rochdale rd instead of Oceanic...Agree re median strip wont stop 12k runners coming into the left lanes...They'll need proper barriers to stop that...

Clown said...

Agree with Sling, some pretty impressive running in KP. A great week of running.

May not hurt to put the HR monitor on for a couple of runs and to see whether easy effort is in fact easy.

Good to see you doing another Marathon.

Anonymous said...

Hope to see at the City to Surf Epi...Just going to take it easy for the C2S and enjoy the atmosphere...

I'm a newbie so no advice from me.

Keep up the good work

Biscuitman said...

I think the courses will be separated by a decent physical barrier. I don't think they could afford for an elite athlete to get impeded by some of the once a year runners we get at the City to Surf.

Looking forward to giving you a cheer and hopefully a boost as you run past the 12km start.

Craig Dufty said...

Glad to see you tried at least.
I generally look at your training and think...
"Wow, I couldn't handle a week like that. He'll run sub 3 this time easily and a sub 2:50 wouldn't surprise me."

Now I am definitely no expert on training (for my last birthday my wife got me some coaching advice because I so obviously needed it) but I think your self imposed criteria gives an insight into what your problem might be. If you aren't doing 100km a week and long runs over 30km then you don't think you are trying hard enough.

My longest run in the 12 months before 6 inch last year was 27km and I haven't gone over 25km since then. Now I'm not saying that is ideal but I hope it helps you to believe that it is possible to run an ok marathon without pushing the long runs so hard.