Sunday, November 04, 2007

SixInch prep Week 1 of 7

So I may as well formalise a plan to run the Six Inch Track off road race in December - 45km on the Munda Biddi cycletrail from Dandalup to Dwellingup.

Week One was a success - 52km running. Nothing fancy - 4x10k and 1x12k, 2 of the 10k's at 4:45 pace, the other 2 at 4:30 pace. The 12k today at 4:50 pace - had intended a bit longer but heat, commitments and mild viral symptoms made me stop early.

Feeling better than last week - most pains settling. Any attemtps to run faster than about 4:20 pace or uphill caused my left groin to complain - so it was flat and steady.

Interestingly - since my groin strain I have lost a patch of hair on my left anterolateral thigh - obviously have irritated a nerve (?meralgia paraesthetica)

So 6 more weeks to go. Will try to increase total by 10-15km a week up to 90 or so by week 4 or 5 then taper weeks 6 and 7. Imperfect preparation but I'm aiming to finish, not run a great time.

2 comments:

homo said...

You make me laugh - hmmm, I'd guess you're a medico, right?!
At least you are having a better time re-adjusting than I have. My knee is very "niggly" (ok, not a medical expression) and I have to pull back on the running. At least the swimming and cycling is going quite nicely.
Definitely won't be doing the 6-inch, although I could be convinced to do support.
I'll try for some of the shorter club races instead.

trailblazer777 said...

Sounds good. Sounds like you are gradually building up some km, and anything sub 5 min per km is decent. Ive had a bit of anterior and lateral located soreness in my left knee area this week, plus some soreness on the posterior part of my right heel area keeps flaring up again. Reminds me of my sports science days all this terminology *LOL*.

I'm gueesing wildly that meralgia is skin related and Paraesthetica is to do with a lack of nutrients to the hairs to keep them alive and growing or lack of feeling (nerves not working properly?)/paralysis?????? All the best with the diagnosis,prognosis,and treatment.

6-inch recon with Mark, Colin and myself is GO! Bring it on!