Sunday, November 25, 2007

Reality Check

My long run today was good and bad - bad in that I blew up at 25km and walked home, good in that it brought me back to reality.

Three 70km weeks does not make a marathon prep. Clearly.

Don't get me wrong, I still intend to do sixinch, but I need to be honest with myself. I had images in my head of rolling along at 5:30minkms, struggling a bit in the last10k, but finishing under 4and a half hours for the 45km.

I really need to be much more cautious - so I can finish and enjoy the run. A plan from the start, of run 5 walk 1, walk up hills, is more realistic. I just need to impose this upon myself somehow

Today was a fine example of mylack of self control (on a couple of levels). Drank too much at a Sat night party - didn't make a morning run. So I ran in the afternoon - 24degrees, 60% humidity. Ran 25km in 5:01min/k then crashed as prevoiusly mentioned. Mentally I kept saying to myself - I'll slow down by 20sec/k after I finish this km - said this from 12k til 25k! By this point I was overheated, cramped in the hammies and couldn't even manage a walk/jog back home.

Anyway, I'm only going to do a 2 week taper as theres not really much to taper down from! Another 70-80k week, try to fit in a SLOW long run next weekend between the Christmas parties, then cut back.

On the plus side I resumed morning runs this week, and did one tempo run.

2 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Things can change very quickly.
Its like the old "a week is a long time in footy/politics/running" quote.

That said though, a SLOW long run is often a good way to go, especially if you already have some faster long runs on the board in recent weeks. Its also easier for the body to recover from, but still gives similiar benefits as a fast long run...

6 Inch is very much a learning experience as a race, its claimed two victims in the first 2 years as DNF's, and challenged greatly many others. I've done 6 marathons and 2 50km walk races, but I found 6 inch was probably tougher to finish, although my preparation for 6 inch has been a lot poorer than most of my marathon preparation.
Sometimes we know what we should do but just don't, and eventually pay the consequences.
Your experience running 42k on trails from Mundaring, as well as the Recon run the other week with Colin.Mark and I, and a solid run with Rob last week, should ensure you will reach the 21k mark with the leading runners, what happens from there to the finish could vary a lot. I also will have a lot of juggling to do around christmas time with various family social events...

Sling Runner said...

I think you should be comfortable at least until 35k mark. After that, the lack of mileage might rear its ugly head. Perhaps you can consider doing a 'heavy weekend', e.g. 15k easy on Saturday then 30k slow on Sunday.

cheers,
Sling Runner