Sunday, July 23, 2006

Run For Gold

3 weeks since marathon, first race.

Effectivelt took 10 days off post marathon then restarted light training week 2.

In the last 7 days felt great and overtrained in terms of intensity - hard hill session Sun, 1k intervals at 5k pace/faster Tues, 10k at 4:45/km wed (supposed to be recovery) and 10k at 4:35/km (fartlek session) Friday.

I know, I know, too much fast, nothing slow, silly training but felt so good and am on holiday for the first time in 18months - energy and time to burn.

Didnt know what to expect today, good conditions other than headwind last 2km. Legs felt very heavy in 2k warmup.

Started 3:43, 3:59, 4:08 - feeling poor and almost decided to make it a 5k, but wasn't even going to set an impressive time for that.

Managed to hold 4:10-4:15s from then on, final km started to feel better and finished with a little more pace

Crossed the line in 41:40, Sportstracks made it 10.10km. Not great but not terrible. I hope if I lead up correctly to a 10k later in the year, sub 40 will be attainable.

For now City 2 Surf is next goal - weekly long hill intervals for next 4 weeks, as well as a second intensity session and try to hold myself back in the other runs - may need to put the HRM back on as I've lost a good feel of what pace equals what 'zone' at present.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

Hey Epi...may see you at Lake Joondalup 10k or Freo 10k...Very small possibility I will be there for the City 2 Surf...I'm helping out WAMC with the Perth Half M...
All the best with the sub 4min per K 10km target...hopefully be doing the same myself by the end of the year....