Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Still Here

Thought I'd quickly post an update - if for no other reason than to offer congratulations to Biscuitman, Trailblazer and DB for great efforts in the Melbourne Marathon and to Clown for toughing it out in Berlin despite injury.

I've been in maintenance mode for the last few weeks - running about 100k per week.

Last 4 Tuesday pm's I've run intervals (solo) down at AK reserve - hoping to add a bit of speed for a 10k PB tilt at the John Gilmour track event in early November. Paces are similar to last year when I did some track sessions - although I suspect if I can convince someone to run with me I can shave a few seconds off.

I almost came to grief due to laziness when I missed entry to the Six Inch trail marathon - which sold out much earlier than I expected. Luckily I put my name on the cancellation list and managed to get an entry. This will definitely be a time goal race  - no repeats of my past podium positions, with Gerry Hill, Todd Ingraham, Tom Bakowski, Scott hawker and Liam Fuery all running and likely to fill the top positions - I think I'll be fighting for 5th-10th with the mid-packers - Brett Coombes, James Roberts, Nathan Fawkes, Kevin matthews,John Pendse, Dan Macey.

Beyond that, I still would like to try some shorter track races before deciding on marathon goals for 2013. I had intended on Perth being the one, but noting Biscuitman is targetting Canberra, this might be something to consider. We'll see.

It must be something about the weather this time of year that makes me start thinking about buying a road bike and entering an ironman or 70.3 triathlon. I still think it might be something I'll do eventually, but for now I think I've got a few minutes to shave off my marathon time first.

2 comments:

DB on the run said...

thanks mate
starting to feel better now!

trailblazer777 said...

Thanks Mate. Might see you at JG. Sure is going to be interesting at 6 inch this year with 200 runners, and people like INGRAHAM!!! (past winner of Melbourne in 2.23) Hill, Hawker, Bakowski, and I think also CHRIS ONEILL (2.27 in Melbourne and looking to improve on that next year) threatening the course record in a big way just like Lauren did last year (and now looks like she has booked a spot at the Moscow World Champs!)... All the best with bringing that marathon time down a bit more, and good to hear you will be keeping the 2nd tier hall of famers honest, and who knows if some of the big guns dont get the navigation right your opportunity might come. Kevins 2.43 PB at Melbourne would suggest that he is likely to 6 inch PB maybe, and be interesting to see what Nathan does at Rotto tomorrow. Also you are only 2 races away from joining the red spike club which currently only has 3 members (Dave, Nathan and me)... How is the Perth Marathon count going? 2013 is my attempt at joining the spartan club I hope, and I've got 5 Melbournes on the board now too. I'm also keen on attempting a 70.3 some day too, and a 12 hour or a 24 hour too but want to try and get some 10k and marathon improvements done first if the body stays good. I'm still not conditioned enough to push you for more than about half an interval rep, otherwise I'd try and get down to the track on a Tuesday, but maybe I will anyhow, and perhaps I might be able to inch a little closer to the level that Clown yourself, Biscuitman etc are at... All the best with summer running and Canberra/Perth plans!