Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Plantar fasciitis

Timing is a funny thing. After my last post I ran 12k recovery on Monday and a 24k medium long on Tuesday. We were due to fly out wed am so i got up early to do a tempo run. About 4k into the tempo I felt a sudden onset pain in my heel, and over the next 2k it got progressively worse such that I couldn't run. I hobbled home and had to pretty much jump straight into the taxi after showering.

I've had mild PF on & off over the years - pain first getting up, pain in the first couple of minutes running, nothing to write home about. Obviously on this occasion I tore my PF acutely

In the airport and in transit, I could barely walk, and this persisted for about 36-48hrs. I had time at home to throw some local anaesthetic and cortisone into my case, so once in maui I injected some steroid into the PF - I wasn't going to let this ruin my holiday (but it was the most painful thing I've done to myself).

With rest & anti-inflams, the pain settled and on the Friday I did some elliptical and stairmaster at the hotel gym, and on sat & sun some painful 5k walk/jogs - not the oceanside morning run's I'd envisaged.

Beyond my foot, maui was incredible - the Four Seasons far eclipsed any other resort style hotel i've ever stayed at - especially the adults only pool area. In further proof of the smallness of the world these days, Henry/Homo - erstwhile running friend in Perth, happened to be staying at the same hotel at the same time, and recognised me from the other side of the aforementioned pool. (in arranging a time to catch up, he simply said he'd be sitting by that pool the entire day - it was that kind of place).

So if one is going to withdraw from running anywhere, that would be the place. I managed to do some (poor) surfing and standing paddle boarding, but walking and running were still very painful.

After 6 nights of heaven, MaiTais and 3 cooked meals a day, we headed back to honolulu. I managed 3x8-10k treadmill runs here, but still pain with every step unfortunately.

Back on Monday I managed 13k, and this morning 12k - pain no better though (and some problems with other parts of the foot due to altered gait)

Not sure how things will go from here - obviously I've done a lot of reading on plantar fasciitis and PF tears in the last couple of weeks. It looks like there are a couple of scenarios. One is that my acute tear heals within weeks and I go back to normal training perhaps within a month. The second is that the injury becomes chronic and this is a scenario I know all too well from patients,work colleagues and family members who still struggle to run 6 months down the track.

Cross the fingers. Either way my Perth training program seems screwed, will just run what I can and make plans once I am running painfree again.

(looking at the net whilst i was away, it seemed like a time for injuries with B'Man and DB going down at a similar time. Good luck recovering guys)

6 comments:

DB on the run said...

fark! 15 days since my injury and my foot took a turn for the worse today, im told its cuboid syndrome, possibly from inflammed pereformus longus muscle and possibly but hopefully not stress fracture!
biting the bullet and seeing a sports doctor friday to get definitive an$$$$wer
combine uni exams/no running/car troubles and im ready to give up completely!

DB on the run said...

i mean peroneus longus****

Epi said...

DB,

I had cuboid syndrome a couple of years ago and got great relief from manipulation by sports podiatrist.

Sounds like a good idea to exclude stressy though as the pain can be similar

DB on the run said...

hey mate
do you know anyone doing the gold coast marathon?
i have entered.
whilst i still intend on competing id prefer to transfer my race entry to someone else to take the pressure off on myself with this foot injury.
if you know someone please let me know so i can transfer my entry to them.
cheers

Biscuitman said...

Hi Craig

I've emailed you something you may find useful/interesting

Simon

homo said...

I bet though that if you could stay at 4S Wailea for six weeks, you'd be able to relax and recover.

Just take it easy instead of pushing yourself.

From one who knows.....