Sunday, March 07, 2010

Longer, Stronger

True to my word, I focussed on endurance and strength this week

126km @ 4:40
Mon Mar 1, 2010 28.11 2:14:12 4:46
X
Tue Mar 2, 2010 16.08 1:13:54 4:35
X
Wed Mar 3, 2010 14.11 1:04:02 4:32
X
Thu Mar 4, 2010 10.05 49:01 4:52
X
Fri Mar 5, 2010 2.97 14:19 4:49
X
Fri Mar 5, 2010 10.00 42:05 4:12
X
Fri Mar 5, 2010 1.69 07:45 4:35
X
Sat Mar 6, 2010 11.05 52:43 4:46
X
Sun Mar 7, 2010 32.01 2:30:55 4:42

Trialling Cut&Paste from Strands

Monday long run see last weeks post
Tuesday pm medium 16k run along the river. First 10k easy then sped up a little to keep up with someone who passed me, although splits dnt really reflect this
Wed pm medium 14k run. Was an easier effort than Tues but faster
Thurs am First true recovery run for a while - nice in a way to have really aching legs
Friday am. Intended longer tempo. After 3k warmup set out at 4:00s and lasted 1.5k sore shins and knee so I pulled back to a jog. After a few more km I felt good again and did 5k@4:00
Sat am recovery
Sun am. Long run with Clown. Wet back to the old hillier route Kings Park-Bold Park loop - North to Scaborough - back to Hale Rd and up over the tw stage hill then back to Kings Park. We took it fairly steady and did quite well. Even managed 4:10s for the last 1.5km.

The body has coped OK with the mileage. Left (bad) knee sore on downhills only. Right quads quite sore right in the middle just above the kneecap (quads tendon) - a different type of quad pain than I've had before.

My week has probably been influenced by my rereading of Lydiard's book, and I intend to push on wih 100km plus weeks with only one tempo/faster session and no intervals foer the next 3 weeks. I'll not taper for Darlington in mileage but will keep the pace easier this week.

I'm starting to get used to Strands despite it being ridiculously slow and the interface being a bit clunky. Despite this I intend to keep up my weekly post - a nice way to look back at how I was feeling beyond reading the numbers. My only other concern is the rise of miles as the running unit for Clown and Biscuitman, for example Clown ran to finish 20 miles today rather than to finish 32km and did a 5 mile tempo rather than 8k - what country are we living in - pull your head in Clown :)

6 comments:

Clown said...

America aren't we? :). Told you the elevation on my Garmin was suss.

Great week, well done and glad to hear the knee is holding up really well.

Biscuitman said...

Just set your preferences ("preferences" at top then the "view" tab) for Strands to kms and celcius and as long as you are logged in - that's how it comes up. It allows you to set your units of measurement.

The site can be a bit slow loading up but if you reduce the widgets in the sidebar it speeds up a bit.

Epi said...

Thanks Biscuitman.

I had already set mine to metric - was just having a go at Clown for running an extra 200m this morning to get himself up to 20 miles.

DC64 said...

Great to hear you're going well with no ill effects (126km ? no time for the 10% rule then...) Agree re: Strands and the slowness (& clunkiness), but I think all online training logs have this problem. Something to do with latency from US websites I guess... strands is still young though and may well improve. BTW, for Boston, get used to miles because you get k markers for the first 5k and from then only mile markers (apart from the timing mats at 5k intervals - go figure).

Sling Runner said...

Great week Epi and what a quick recovery from surgery.

I use runningahead.com to log my training. It is free, fast and gives you nice summary. You can upload Garmin data directly too.

trailblazer777 said...

Thats cool that you are exploring strands too. I still like my blogger though. Good to be a bit multi-lingual. need to learn lots of americanese for Boston, miles v km celsius v farenheit PR v PB etc etc...reminds me of my USA trip back in 2002. Have to go over there again someday. hope the knee and quads sort out. another outstanding! week!
Hope you dont go too far down the lydiard path, intervals are very useful, thats my thought...sounds like the Boston specific stuff is really coming to the fore now...