Thursday, January 21, 2010

Scuppered

WARNING: This post may contain discussion of surgery and medical conditions. I have been reminded over the last week that not everyone is comfortable with this.

My plans of an accelerated recovery program (ala Jana Pittman ) were scuppered this week when I literally sprang a leak. I'd had Thurs-Sun effectively off my feet and seemed to be going well. I was allowed to go to work on Monday, but walking out to the car I felt something rip in my port wound and out came an obscene amount of honey-like joint fluid.

This fluid leakage continued unabated for the next 24hours, soaking dressing after dressing, even when I was asleep. The only positive was that the swelling was going down! I went to see the surgeon the next day and he put a stitch in the wound. For those technically minded I had developed a synovial fistula

Positive - the leakage stopped. Negative - Minimal walking, no cycling/cross training for another week and no swimming for another week until the stitch comes out.

So here I am slowly going crazy with lack of aerobic exercise. I joined the gym and tried the 'water wheel' ergo - like an exercise bike for your arms - but my upper body is so weak I last about 5 minutes and have to stop. I have also rediscovered my dislike of upper body weight training.

So delayed again - shouldn't be a big deal but given my hopes for a Boston finish each further week not running is a further two weeks lost in return - one to regain fitness and one to improve from there. Looks like it will be six weeks gap between runs, four between reasonable aerobic activity.

5 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

bring on the medical terminology. One of my favourite thrash metal bands Tourniquet uses a lot of medical terminology in their songs, so I am cvool with it, my first inclination though is to say what the heck is a synovial fistula...I'm guessing synovial relates to synovial fluid, guess I should google it. Commiserations re the restrictions, and the old mans domain ventures into upper body exertions. I prescribe a concerted highly disciplined regime of religious tennis watching starting with the Lleyton Hewitt v Marcos Baghdatis classic, then WA's own Casy Dellcqua (I played doubles against her sister once) v Venus Williams, and then see what develops. Heck even go find a wall and let out the frustrations with some upper body agressive forehands and overhead smashes/serves with the tennis racquet, and maybe a few C'mons ala Leighton (It worked for me in the last 5km of my first Perth Marathon in 2004)...so chin up, stiff upper lip accadacca style, stay aggressive and focused (like Leighton), and the cross-training, then full-blooded Boston attack will hopefully resume in the next few weeks... Now I'd better go find my Mums medical dictionary or look for one online. Keep posting your progress reports too...

Biscuitman said...

That's bad luck but without really knowing, it seems from what you are saying that the synovial fistula is only a minor setback. I'm sure your positive attitude will assist healing too (can't hurt anyway). All the best.

DC64 said...

It's probably just as well you're a medico, I'm sure most runners would have freaked out... I'm pretty sure I would have. I really hope your body lets you get in shape for Boston ... you do seem to recover well so fingers crossed!

homo said...

I can recommend weight training with different types of beers and of different quantities. Don't forget to switch arms.

Seriously, just take your time.

I have paid for Stockholm but there is no way I'll do it, so I know I'll be just watching from the sides. Such is life....

Clown said...

Arnie, I would have thought you'd have loved doing the upper body weights.

All the best with the recovery and hopefully only a very minor setback.