Sunday, February 24, 2008

Good long run

Wound it up a bit again after 2 lighter weeks - 99.3km week.

Mon 10.1k recovery @ 4:56 (trying to slow down on these)
Tues 11.32k @ 4:41. Included hill efforts and 2.5k at 10k pace before a very slow jog home
Wed 10.3k @ 4:52 easy
Thurs 10.5k @ 4:35 - included 3k then 2k at 4:05 pace
Friday 10.33k @ 4:44 - inbetween pace run I'm trying to cut back on these
Sat 10.6k @ 4:51
Sun 36.2k @ 4:54 (2hrs57,20)

One of my best long training runs thus far. Ran with Rob on the usual course ( w.perth-bold park-trigg-hale rd -home). Went around( rather than over) the second Hale Rd hill to save Rob's hamstring
Easy first 10k in 51:21
Next 15k averaged 4:46's and we were purposely holding back
Back to 4:50-5:00s next 8k
Finished full of running - 34-35k did 4:15. Even better, was planning to walk the last km home but felt good and jogged the final k in 4:56 to finish very satisfied.

Kudos to Rob for pushing on despite hamstring pain

On the merry-go-round of expectations re Canberra, this week I feel confident I can do it(3:15)
4 more full training weeks before 3 week taper - want 90-110k in each.

3 comments:

homo said...

Very nice going, Epi. I have no doubt that you will kill 3:15!
What kind of distances do you intend covering on the long runs from here on? I'm just wondering about the length in terms of what is "too long" as in injury inducing.
I intend to do two 30k+ runs this week and then in a couple of weeks, but otherwise focus more on race pace. What is your plan?

Epi said...

Thanks Homo,

I personally dont think theres too long a training run as long as the body can handle it. Some programs call for 32k max, others have 42k training runs.

Most seem to like the 32k+ runs to be 2 weeks apart. I think I'll do shorter - say 28k with 22 at MP, next week, then long 36k again, then shorter MP as the last one before my taper

I only do one long run a week - but thats partly due to time restraints. Certainly if you're going to do 2 long runs in a week, I'd make the midweek one in the mid 20s max.

homo said...

I realise I led you astray. I meant to say "I intend to do two 30k+ runs one this week and then another in a couple of weeks".
No way I would be able to handle two 30ks in one week! Would be nice though assuming my speed would pick up as well.