Sunday, September 17, 2006

Marking Time

I've continued with 2-3 days a week since City to Surf, but have fallen a little into the trap of running faster than recovery pace but slower than tempo - often 10k runs, start at 5 min/k pace then wind up to 440 pace for the last 6 or 7 kms. Not sure that I'm gaining much from these kind of sessions - problem is this is an enjoyable way to run. So I need to do some intervals and hold back on recovery runs.

managed an 18k effort last Sunday, again a little too fast at 4min 55 pace overall - felt pretty tired thereafter.

This morning I ran Gwelup - planned 10k but knew in warmup that legs felt heavy, would probably run 5k. With this in mind I headed out fast - 337 first km, and paid for it. Walked!!! in a 5k!!! and finished in 20:15.

Not going to dwell on it too much.

Looking ahead to Freo 10k next week, Rob reminded me that its a fast flat course so we'll see how things go. I'm not really sure where I am pace wise but sub40min 10k is still there as a goal - hopefully will set out at that pace and see how things finish up.

Regards to all - TB good luck with the wedding and your ultra training. Homo good luck with Rotto, will look with interest to see how you go. TS&TF - hope you get your mojo back. Clown, see you at Freo.

Epi

2 comments:

homo said...

Junk miles are like junk food, sometimes you just need the stuff. At least you keep things just ticking over, better than beating yourself up over it or overdoing it.
I'll see you a Freo - promised Anna to pace her in the 5k, see whether I can get her to go sub-30 (she doesn't know yet ;-)). It'll be my recovery run from the 37k on Saturday.
Cheers, homo

trailblazer777 said...

whats this walking in a 5km stuff hey...you know that is a federal offence...what! were you thinking??!!

seriously though 20.15 is still a decent time...under my PB for a 5k race (although I did split in 19.32 in my 10k PB....but I know for where you are at you want much better and rightly so...its more difficult to manage the fast start...3.37 sounds good though at least you went out the way you should....but I have got three words to say about sub 40 goals etc;
INTERVALS,INTERVALS,INTERVALS...
(not that Ive done any lately)

might see you at Freo 5k but probably the wedding factor will dominate to stop me getting there...